Be a Bronzed Beauty Year-Round with these Sunless Tanners!
Posted Tuesday December 6, 2011 1:46 PM GMT
Chilly, cloudy days have you feeling a little ho-hum about your complexion? Are the sunless days of winter leaving your skin dull, lackluster and looking paler than a snowman?
With all the dangers of indoor tanning, you hate to run to the tanning salon and subject yourself to those harmful rays that can have long-term, potentially dangerous consequences for a short-term sun goddess-like bronze.
Nowadays, achieving beautiful, golden color no longer means that you have to expose yourself to such dangers. Thanks to wonderfully formulated sunless tanners, you can achieve healthy, radiant looking skin in no time! Plus, there's no need to fret over orange streaks anymore, either! Sunless tanners are now formulated with a chemical called, dihydroxyacetone, which works in unison with skin proteins to produce a natural looking tan.
This particular ingredient strictly colors the top layer of skin - so make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your skin before you apply any sunless tanner to avoid any blotchiness and flaking. When you apply your pale-fighting potion, remember to wear latex gloves so that your palms don’t become discolored. Also, make sure to apply sunless tanner to your stomach last so that you don’t get any creases on your stomach from bending over while applying lotion to the rest of your body. Once you’re done applying, refrain from wearing any body-hugging clothing for at least 30 minutes – keep clothing extremely loose fitting.
Kirsten Dunst is a huge fan of self-tanners. In a recent interview with Lucky magazine, she said, "You lose like five pounds immediately, and your face is glowing and gorgeous," gushes the fair-skinned beauty, who admits to having "the kind of skin you touch and it gets red." “I look amaziiiiiiing," she adds. "I did it for my last movie. Then Isla [Fisher, her co-star] saw me and was like, ‘I’m gonna get spray-tanned too!’ I only did it twice so I’m tan in like two scenes and super-pale in the rest of the film.”
Now, you may be wondering, “What are the best sunless tanners to use?” Well, we’ve complied a list of our favorite sunless tanners in all forms: lotions, gels, mists, towels, etc. All of these products achieve beautiful, envy-worthy glows that will keep you looking beach ready, and healthy all winter long, which is good because you’ll want a sexy, sun-kissed look to bring in the New Year!
- Estee Lauder Sunless SuperTan $25
- Coppertone Endless Summer Sunless Tanning Lotion $12
- Jergens Natural Glow Firming Daily Moisturizer $10 (This product also works as a skin firming lotion!)
- St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Lotion $30 ( Rosie Huntington-Whiteley used this product to achieve her gorgeous glow on the set of “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”)
- LORAC TANtalizer Body Bronzing Luminizer $32
- Decléor 'Aroma Sun Expert' Self-Tanning Milk Natural Glow $36
- La Prairie Gradual Tanning Lotion for Face & Body $75
- Dior ‘DiorBronze’ Self-Tanner: Natural Glow $33
Gels & Foams –
- Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel $24.50
- Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Foam $10
- Neutrogena Sun Fresh Foam $10
Mists & Towels –
- Neutrogena Micro-Mist Airbrush Sunless Tan $9
- Xen-Tan 'E! Live from the Red Carpet Perfect Blend $43
- L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes $10
- TanTowel Half Body Application, Classic for Fair to Medium Skin Tones, Original Formula $12