3 Common Beauty Blunders & the DIY Solutions to Cure Them
Posted Monday October 14, 2013 8:25 AM GMT
We all face our share of beauty woes. Some are more common than others — especially dryness.
This time of year, as temperatures drop and cold air regularly brushes against our faces, scaly skin becomes more prevalent; so does lifeless hair and chapped lips. Sounds glamorous, right?
So, in an effort to thwart these unwanted issues, we pulled together three of our favorite DIY treatments that can all be done from home. Each one will tackle the abovementioned problem spots, leaving you with radiant skin, luscious hair and a perfect pucker all season long!
Problem: Dry lips
Solution: Brown Sugar Lip Scrub
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 Teaspoon brown sugar
- Small mixing bowl
- Toothbrush to use for scrubbing (optional)
- Mix the olive oil and brown sugar together in a small bowl.
- With either your fingers or a toothbrush, scrub the mixture onto lips in a circular motion for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Rinse off with water. (Note: Some olive oil will stay behind, but that’ll only add more moisture to your lips.)
- Follow with your favorite lip balm
Problem: Dry skin
Solution: Joanna Vargas' Ultra-Rejuvenating Mask
What you'll need:
- 6 Teaspoons grape seed oil
- 2 Drops rose oil
- 1 Teaspoon warmed honey
- 5 Teaspoons ground almonds (This will help form a paste.)
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Leave on the skin for 20 minutes, then rinse.
Problem: Dry hair
Solution: Apple Cider Vinegar Detox
What you’ll need:
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Cups hot water
- Apple cider vinegar
- Combine the baking powder with the hot water and wash hair with the mixture. Be gentle and don’t scrub.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with apple cider vinegar. This will add intense shine to your tresses. Keep in mind, the amount will vary depending on how much hair you have.
- Then, follow up with lukewarm water. Rinse for as long as it takes to remove all remnants of the baking soda mixture.
- Repeat this process 2 times a week for stronger, shinier hair.