DIY Prada-esque Crystal Clutch!
Posted Monday January 30, 2012 4:08 PM GMT
This season, you don’t want to be caught strutting around town without a swanky accessory. Whether it’s a trendy hat, show-stopping jewelry or a to-die-for handbag, statement accessory pieces are becoming one of the biggest trends for this upcoming spring/summer season.
So as you can imagine, when we set our eyes upon Prada’s uber-swanky crystal-encrusted clutch from the brand’s 2012 resort collection, we thought two things – 1.) Must…have…this…clutch and 2.) What’s the price tag on this fine design?
Well, without a doubt this pretty accessory comes with a less-than-pocket book-friendly price tag. So, what do you do when you love something but can’t buy it? Replicate it! Creating your very own Prada-esque jewel-encrusted clutch is actually a very easy DIY project. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be well on your way to owning one of the hottest hand candy around!
What you’ll need:
- A clutch
- any heavy-duty adhesive
- Acrylic gemstones in various shapes, sizes and colors
- Tweezers *optional, but may be easier to use on the smaller gemstones.
- A piece of cardboard or newspaper to work on.
- Lay your clutch down on-top of the piece of cardboard or newspaper to protect your work surface.
- Start by placing the largest gemstones on your clutch first, spreading them out randomly. TIP: Don’t glue anything down yet, place the stones first to make sure you like the arrangement of them.
- Then, place the second largest gemstones randomly on the surface of your clutch.
- Proceed to lay the mid-sized gemstones randomly on your clutch.
- Lay the smallest of the gems down on the surface of the clutch filling in any of the gaps in between the larger gemstones.
- Now, once you have established the pattern of your liking, you can begin to glue the gemstones on to your clutch.
- Once all the gemstones are glued on, let your fab new clutch dry for at least one full day (24 hours) before use.