DIY Feather Earrings
Posted Thursday October 13, 2011 12:00 PM GMT
The feather trend has taken the fashion world by storm! People are not only wearing articles of clothing adorned with feathers, but are also wearing them as hair extensions and earrings as well.
You can find a pair of fabulous feather earrings in just about every clothing or jewelry store. However, some of them cost upwards of $15. While, it’s not breaking the bank, it still seems silly to spend that amount when you can make these earrings yourself at home! All of the materials you’ll need can be found at your local craft store.
What you’ll need:
- Two feathers – peacock, solid color, etc….
- Earring loops
- Bendable jewelry wire
- Needle nose pliers
- Some feathers have long plastic stems at the top. Cut the plastic stem down until there is about ¼ inch left on top.
- Now, cut off about 2-3 inches of flexible jewelry wire. You want this wire to be long since you’ll be wrapping it around the feather’s plastic stem. You can cut off any excess wire when the wrapping is finished.
- Once there is about an inch left to one ends of the wire, loop it and pair it next to the top of the feather stem. Take the other end of the wire and wrap it securely around the loop and stem to secure the loop in place.
- Pinch the wire, loop ad stem to tighten it all together. Cut off any excess wire at this time.
- Now, take your earring loops and with your pliers open one end of the ring.
- Feed the ring through the loop you made with the wire on the feather’s stem.
- Close the loop with the pliers.
- Repeat these steps for the second earring.
Click through the gallery below to check out these designer feather earring creations!